Breastfeeding is a learned art and skill with proven benefits to mother, baby, family and society. To maximize these benefits, lactation consultants function as members of the health care team, with their primary focus on breastfeeding. The overall goals of the lactation consultant are to enable mothers and families to make informed feeding choices, initiate and maintain lactation, overcome obstacles, prevent premature weaning and enhance maternal role satisfaction. -Tammy Timms
Tips for Getting Started
- Learn about all the benefits breastfeeding offers. This is for moms and babies, families and communities.
- Nurse your baby as soon as possible after delivery. Latch babe deeply onto the breast.
- Keep babe in skin-to-skin contact with you as much as possible.
- If you and babe are separated at delivery, begin hand expression and pumping to stimulate your milk supply.
- Seek help early on if you need it.
- Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy your baby.